The Falling for You is the perfect sweatshirt pattern for a nursing mod and today Emily Schimelfenygof of Emazyng Creations is joining us today with an amazing hack.
Additional materials needed: Two 15” invisible zippers (or length of your choice)
1. When cutting front pattern pieces, add 1/4" seam allowance to the front seams. This will account for a 1/2" seam allowance total when inserting the invisible zippers.
Note: if you are new to invisible zippers, you may want to check out this video from Craftsy before getting started on the following steps.
2. Lay front pattern pieces out. Apply a 1/4" strip of interfacing to the front edges of each piece where the zipper will be attached. I like to use a washable basting tape like Wonder tape when applying zippers.
3. Work with a closed zipper to begin with. Lay the zipper right side down on the right side of the front side panel, zipper head down by the pocket, leaving a 1/4" of space between the bottom edge of the front pieces and the zipper head. Stitch in place. I like to baste my zipper while it's closed first, then open the zipper to stitch much closer to the teeth so that the zipper cannot be seen from the right side of the garment. (see image below)
4. Next, grab the center front bodice. Flip one side bodice piece over so that the right side (RS) is facing the RS of the center front bodice, matching up the other edge of the zipper with the edge of the center front bodice. Stitch the zipper to the front panel. Repeat for the other side.
5. You should now have both zippers attached, but there will be a small gap at the top of each zipper. Close the gap using a 1/2" seam allowance. Be sure to line up the end of the zipper tail so that there isn’t any puckering at the bottom of the zipper (which is the top of the seam). *My top seam is a bit off from not having my zipper aligned just right when attaching to the center bodice.
6. Your zippers are now installed and your front panel is now complete! Construct the remainder of the bodice following the tutorial. Just be careful to unzip the zipper when you attach the pocket or bottom bodice piece so that it isn’t caught in your machine. After unzipping, pin the zipper tape in place so that they are still flush against each other while adding the bottom panel.
Comments will be approved before showing up.